The Golden City’ of Rajasthan, Jaisalmer has plenty of reasons to be your next destination. Named after its founder Jaisal Singh, this city is the home of many renowned ancient monuments. Among the major tourist spots, Gadisar Lake in Jaisalmer is an important one and one of the best places to go.
The first ruler of Jaisalmer, Raja Rawal Jaisal Singh built this artificial lake as a water conservation reservoir which was later on rebuild by Maharaja Garisisar Singh. Located on the south region of Jaisalmer, this wonderful lake in Jaisalmer is surrounded by many temples, chattris and ghats. A yellow sandstone archway, named Tilon Ki Pol, is there as an entrance roadway to the lake. An Idol of Lord Vishnu was installed there in the year 1908 A.D. for the protection of the lake.
Things to Do
- The surrounding of the lake is beautiful, so do take a walk to explore this beautiful location.
- A number of temples are there, few of them are quite old.
- Enjoy the serenity of the lake by a boat ride. The number of boats are limited, so you might have to wait in the queue.
- Don’t forget to carry your camera and binoculars as the lake provides some amazing views.
- During the winter season, many migratory birds arrive here, as the Bharatpur bird sanctuary is nearby.
- A Traveler can also visit the nearby spots like Jaisalmer Fort, Desert cultural center and Museum and the temple of Lord Shiva on the banks of Gadisar Lake.
- The Travelers can enjoy the local cuisines in the nearby restaurants. Hotel Hayyat Jaisalmer, Lake View Restaurant, and The Jaisal Treat are the best options for it.our
- Entry to the Gadisar Lake in Jaisalmer is free but the boat ride is chargeable. For a Rowboat charge is Rs 10, for a Paddleboat charge is 50 and for Shikara charge is Rs 100.
- No charges for the camera or video camera.
- The Gadisar Lake is open throughout the day but the boats are available from morning 8 am to evening 8 pm.
- Visit as early as possible to avoid the rush.
- It will take approximately 2 hours to complete your tour.
- Try to visit this spot via public transport, the car parking option is limited.
- Guides are not available in this spot, but if you visit the nearby Jaisalmer Fort, guides from there might escort you to the lake.
Best time to Visit Gadisar Lake Jaisalmer
Visit this mesmerizing spots during the winter season to explore most of it. October to March is the best time. You can spend ample amount of time enjoying the beautiful sceneries and the migratory birds as the temperature remains very pleasant.
How to Reach
Jaisalmer railway station is only 2 kilometers away from this spot, it is well connected to the major cities of India. Nearest airport, Jodhpur is 290 kilometers away. Cabs are available from there. If you just do not want to visit Jaisalmer but also want to experience its grand lifestyle then embark on a royal journey on Palace on Wheels train. This luxury train comes with air-conditioned deluxe and super deluxe suites. While opulence drips from every part of the train, the modern amenities, aesthetically decorated dining cars and the happening bar cum lounge promises a life larger than life.
Plan your trip and check the schedule of Palace on Wheels train. visit this amazingly peaceful lake If you are tired of the daily hustle of Jaisalmer. This perfect gateway will definitely heal your weariness and give you some golden memories to cherish.